Safer Recruitment of Volunteers
Volunteers who work with vulnerable groups must be safely recruited according to National Procedures produced by The Catholic Safeguarding Advisory Service (CSAS). These procedures apply to all Dioceses in England and Wales.
Safer Recruitment means that all volunteers who work with vulnerable groups must:
- Complete a Registration Form which includes details of two referees, and if role is a 'Regulated Activity':
- Complete a Safeguarding Self Declaration Form in which any past criminal convictions, cautions or involvement in care proceedings must be declared.
- Complete Disclosure & Barring Service Consent and Application forms which will be sent out by the Safeguarding Office.
- Meet with the Parish Rep to have the DBS Form verified and three original ID documents seen and photocopied
- If working with Vulnerable Groups, whether or not enhanced DBS check eligible, complete Written Agreement For Volunteers with Parish Priest or Group Leader
- Receive letter from Bishop Richard regarding training expectations within 12 months of taking up role.
Safer Recruitment Forms:
N.B. Please use latest version of forms from A&B or CSAS website as changes occur frequently
You will find all the following forms in the Resources Section just click on the Safeguarding link:
Volunteer Registration Form
Applicant Consent for DBS Processing
Safeguarding Self Declaration
Confirmation of ID
Written Agreement For Volunteers
Volunteer Training Expectation Letter (Bishop Richard & Trustees)
Policy Statement on Recruitment of Ex-Offenders
Data Protection Act principles and confidentiality agreement
Link to CSAS Website (incorporating material from former websites - Catholic Safeguarding Resource Area and the National Procedures)
Link to NCSC Website
Following the recent Government announcement regarding the launch of Phase 2 of the Protection of Freedoms Act, the following documents are available for further details:
- Copy of the CSAS Safer Recruitment chapter including guidance on roles eligible for disclosure checks
- Catholic Church Guide for individuals regarding the Online Update Service
Link to www.gov.uk/dbs